John Dugan is a respected professional author who is noted for his contributions to a variety of news organizations, magazines and websites. His most recent work includes extensive writing concerning current research on men's health issues.
They used to be something that no man (and few women) admitted to using, but nowadays more and more guys are using and discussing sex toys. And while there are quite a few male sex toys to choose from, lots of guys tend to start with a tried-and-true basic: the penis ring. Since men should always have proper penis care in mind when experimenting, now is a good time to provide some helpful tips for penis ring use. Though essentially safe, as with anything new involving sex, it's good to have a little background information handy.
Penis rings have been around in one form or another for thousands of years. Ancestral versions of the device have been found in ancient Greek ruins, and their use has been well documented as far back as the Jin Dynasty.
The idea behind the penis ring is simplicity itself: Place a tight (but not TOO tight) ring around an erect (or partially erect) penis, so that it helps to constrict the flow of blood out of the penis. Damming the blood up in the erect penis helps maintain the erection and can also in some instances makes the erect penis feel "super-hard."
There are a few options on where to place the ring. The most typical is placing it directly at the base of the shaft. However, it is also popular to insert both the penis and the balls into the ring. Another alternative is to slip the ring on just underneath the glans.
- Penis rings can be made in a wide range of material. Stretchy rings made out of rubber or silicon are very popular, but some men prefer them made of metal or leather instead. Since there's no "give" with metal, it may be better to start with plastic/silicon or leather, especially when finding one that "fits" right.
- Some men find that using a penis ring is easier if they manscape. Otherwise, pubic hair may sometimes get caught in the ring, causing some discomfort.
- Don't be afraid to use lubricant when putting on the penis ring. Even though the chosen ring may be made of a stretchy material, it still may require some extra "slickness" to get it into place easily.
- Penis rings can be great fun and for some men can be a significant sex aid. However, as with most sex toys, there is some potential risk. Wearing a penis ring for too long - and thereby forcing the penis to remain rigid - can bring about tissue damage. Most sex toy producers recommend using a penis ring only for about 20 minutes at a time. But if the penis feels numb or becomes discolored, the ring should be removed even if it has only been on for a short time.
- Some penis rings come with a vibrating function. These often also have "nubs" or "bumps" on them. The vibration can be pleasurable for both the man wearing the ring and for his partner. The nubs can provide extra stimulation during penetration. In addition, there are some vibrating rings in which the vibration rate can be altered, and some in which a remote control can allow a partner to provide vibratory control of the ring.
- Like all sex toys, penis rings should be cleaned and dried after each use.
Using sex toys such as a penis ring can enhance a man's fun, as can keeping his penis healthy. That health can be more easily maintained by the regular use of an excellent penis health crème(health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) . The best crème will include a range of vitamins, such as A, B5, C, D and E, the topical application of which allows them to more directly target the penis. The crème should also include alpha lipoic acid, a potent antioxidant that helps keep the penis skin strong and healthy.
People go to the gym because they want to improve their physical appearance (among other reasons). With this emphasis on appearance, some men may find themselves with concerns about an issue over which they have little control - namely, their penis size. Although men know that penis health is more important than penis size, the size issue still matters to a lot of men. And they may find themselves concentrating on it while in the gym locker room, when they may have no choice but to put their equipment on display, at least temporarily. So knowing how to handle this situation is important.
Not just small
Ironically, it's not always concern about showing a potentially small penis in a public space that men feel. Some men with an exceptionally large endowment also feel conflicted about revealing themselves in the locker room or shower at the gym.
It's not uncommon for men to steal a glance at other men while changing or showering; comparing penis size doesn't stop after high school. And it can be done very subtly, with just a glance, or overtly, with one guy commenting - whether mockingly or admiringly - on another's endowment. And while it may be more flattering to get comments about how much action a man's big penis must get rather than comments about how a woman even knows when a small penis is inserted, it can still make a man feel uncomfortable.
What to do
Of course, some men don't mind the comments and attention at all, whatever their penis size. For some men, public nudity and the attendant comments or wisecracks is part of healthy male bonding; it makes them feel connected and more at home with other men.
But for those who find revealing their penis size at the gym to be stressful, the following suggestions may be helpful.
- Contact a professional. Being a little insecure about penis size is normal, but if it causes severe distress, it may be a good idea to contact a mental health professional to discuss why it produces such feelings. They may also be able to help develop strategies to feel more comfortable about penis size and to be less concerned about how other men view it.
- Bring a towel from home. Gym towels are often on the small size and may not comfortably wrap around a guy's waist. Bringing a larger towel from home that wraps all the way around can help conceal the penis from other men's gazes. Some men prefer to wrap the towel around before removing their underwear before showering. After showering, they may also keep the towel wrapped as they put on a clean pair of underwear.
- Accept that erections happen. Many men worry about getting a boner in a communal shower or while changing clothes. This is something that, at some point in their lives, has happened to most men. (In fact, lots of guys get a kick out of showing off their erections this way.) If a penis pops up at an unwanted time, the best thing to do is to accept that this happens and continue on without panicking. But if it happens frequently, a man may want to consider thinking "erection-deflating" thoughts before stripping down. Some men who pop erections frequently find it helps to masturbate before going to the gym, just to make an erection less likely to occur. - Give back. Sometimes it pays to respond to comments about penis size, either playfully - "Hey, at least you don't need a microscope to see mine!" - or directly - "Keep your eyes on your own penis, buddy."
At the gym, feeling comfortable about penis size is important, but so is the healthy appearance of the member. Regular use of a first rate penis health crème(health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) with powerful moisturizers is crucial for good penis skin. The crème should include both a natural hydrator (vitamin E) and a high-end emollient (Shea butter). It also helps if alpha lipoic acid, a powerful antioxidant, is part of the crème; this fights free radicals that cause oxidative stress damage to penis skin.
History buffs may be fans of the Battle of the Bulge, but most regular Joes aren't so fond of it. Of course, in this case, the bulge refers to the presence of an erect penis in the pants, and the battle is necessitated because that erection has come along at an inopportune time - as a man is making an important public presentation at work, say, or as a dude is being introduced to the stony-faced and hard-to-please father of his new girlfriend. Sure, an erect penis is definitely a sign of good penis health and is more than welcome in the right time and place. But when that erection pops up at the wrong time, a guy needs to take steps to conceal that bulge.
With that in mind, the following tips might prove helpful.
- Be prepared. Some guys pop boners at the drop of a hat - and there can be a definite benefit to having an active penis. But if a guy knows that he is prone to getting an erect penis at the worst possible time, he may want to take some steps to help prevent it from happening. Some men find that mindful meditation - doing relaxation exercises and meditating with a specific goal concerning their easy-to-arouse penis before going into a situation in which an erection is not desired - can help. Alternatively, masturbating just before going into that important job interview or making that speech might be helpful; if the erect penis has been recently sated, it's less likely to make a reappearance in the near term.
- Dress appropriately. Look, sometimes a dude definitely wants to show off his assets, including his package. In such instances, it's appropriate to wear tight-fitting pants. But if the desire is to conceal an erection, wear some trousers with a little more room in them. Darker colors can disguise the presence of a growing snake in the pants, as can heavier fabrics. And definitely wear briefs, which can help tuck things in place, rather than boxers, which give too much room for expansion. If casual attire is acceptable, also wear an untucked shirt with a long tail that can cover the front of the pants. Long hoodies with pockets are also a good idea. When the penis arises, put hands in the hoodie pockets and pull them down in front of the crotch to help cover things up. If the occasion is more formal, opt for a suit jacket that hangs down a little further in front. One last thing: If wearing a tie, make sure it isn't too long. Ties that reach all the way down to the crotch or end just a little ways above effectively act as an arrow pointing to the groin - and drawing further attention to an unwanted erect penis.
- Find ways to hide it. Unless it is tenting in a really perceptible way, most erections are less noticeable when sitting rather than standing. If sitting is not an option, find a high-backed chair or sofa and get positioned behind it. Be a gentleman and offer to hold a date's sweater - and then drape it over the arm in such a way as to conceal the crotch. Or pick up a book and hold it in an appropriately obscuring fashion.
An erect penis may create an unwanted bulge, but in most cases a guy is thankful for that erection - and for having good penis health to go along with it. Maintaining that health is easier with the regular application of a superior penis health crème(health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) . Be sure to find a crème with both L-arginine and L carnitine. The former is an amino acid helpful in nitric oxide production, which in turn keeps penis blood vessels open and flowing. And the latter is another amino acid, this one with neuroprotective properties which can help restore lost sensation in a penis in which sensitivity has diminished.
Circumcision is one of the oldest surgical procedures. Practiced for thousands of years, it can be done for cultural, religious, social or medical reasons. No matter a man's reason for having a circumcision done, it's vitally important that he pays very close attention to good penis care in the days and weeks following the procedure. The more good care he gives himself, the better penis health and sensation he will be able to maintain for the rest of his life as a circumcised man.
Of course, keep in mind that the tips below are for the majority of circumcision cases; a guy who has a more complicated case or other surgical procedures done in addition to circumcision might want to take these tips with a grain of salt. What matters most is following the surgeon's directions for recovery to the letter. And when in doubt, never hesitate to call the physician!
Pursuing an uneventful circumcision recovery
For most men, circumcision can take well under an hour. If there are medical problems, such as a too-tight foreskin or infection, those problems can begin to resolve almost immediately upon completion of the procedure. Here's what to expect from a routine recovery:
1. Expect serious bruising and swelling. This is typical of any surgery, not just one done on the penis. In fact, the bruising after surgery can be quite shocking, so don't be alarmed if it appears that the entire manhood is covered in bruised splotches. This will go away over a matter of weeks.
2. Use the pain medication. Though there isn't significant pain associated with a circumcision, there is still some discomfort. Painkillers will be prescribed, so use them. Don't be surprised if they are only necessary for a few days, however. Many men are surprised at how quickly the pain goes away.
3. Take care with urination. Yes, it's probably going to hurt when a guy pees after the circumcision. To alleviate this, he can drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and dilute the urine. He can also apply a bit of petroleum jelly to the tip of the penis before and after he urinates, to help keep the acidity away from the more sensitive areas.
4. Avoid certain activities and movement. It's important to give the penis ample time to heal. This means all sexual activity is off-limits for at least a few weeks. It also means a guy must be extra-careful not to let the penis bump into anything, suffer any sort of trauma, or otherwise be handled roughly. That means avoiding contact sports and wearing underwear that holds the penis snugly, to avoid the natural side-to-side movement when he walks around.
5. Use only what the doctor prescribes. It might be tempting to use natural oils, creams and the like when the penis is healing. This is never a good idea. Use only the crèmes the doctor suggest during those first few weeks, as the use of anything else could interfere with healing. Though the use of a good penis health crème is encouraged after the healing is complete, don't reach for it while the wound is still healing!
6. Try to avoid erections. That means a guy doesn't want to spend his time looking at adult videos! He also wants to try to avoid nocturnal erections, though this is understandably impossible to eliminate completely. A few tips include ensuring the bladder is always as empty as possible, which might mean getting up a few times at night to urinate. Lying on his side in a fetal position can also help a guy alleviate some of the erections he might get at night.
Finally, remember to keep all doctor's appointments. If anything about the circumcision feels painful, get in touch with the physician immediately.
And once a guy is healed, it's time to reach for the best penis health crème(health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) . He will want one that contains a multitude of vitamins and nutrients, especially L-carnitine. This amino acid is known for lessening the chances of peripheral nerve damage and helping preserve penis sensation.
Generally, a penis pump is used for one of two reasons: either because there exists a penis health concern that makes the use of a penis pump necessary for a man to achieve an erection or because he enjoys the cosmetic and visual appeal of "pumping up" his penis (and sometimes his testicles) to a larger size. For whichever reason a man may use a penis pump, he should be aware that the potential for penis injury exists and that he should take steps to minimize any possible injury (for obvious reasons).
How it works
First, let's be clear that this article is discussing vacuum penis pumping. This is not about "pumping" silicone or other matter into the penis to make it larger, which is incredibly dangerous and should never be done.
Basically, with vacuum pumping, a cylinder is placed around the penis and tightly sealed. A second cylinder on the end of the penis then pumps the air out of the first cylinder; this creates a vacuum, which in turn draws blood into the penis. As the penis fills with blood, it becomes erect, and a constricting device helps keep the blood trapped in the penis. When used by men who have erectile difficulties, they are then in an erect state for a variable amount of time and can hopefully engage in sexual activity.
When used for non-medicinal purposes, many men may "overpump," causing the penis to grow significantly larger than its normal erect state. The bulk of this expansion tends to come in girth rather than length. As mentioned, sometimes men also apply the pump to the testicles for a swollen balls effect.
There is always a risk of penis injury when pumping, although the risk is minimized following the directions carefully. Many doctors believe that only those with legitimate erectile issues should use the pump and that utilizing it for cosmetic or non-essential uses greatly increases the risk of penis injury.
Among the possible forms of penis injury which may result from pump use are:
- Bruises and blisters, especially on the glans, which is generally more sensitive than other parts of the penis. In addition to being painful, bruises and blisters generally require that a man refrain from sex and masturbation (which aggravate them) until they are healed.
- Color change, tissue damage. Use of a penis pump for an extended period of time can cause the penis skin color to darken due to lack of oxygen. Because blood is typically trapped in the penis until the constricting device is removed, new oxygen cannot get in as the old oxygen is used up, causing a color change. If the lack of oxygen goes on for too long, it can cause severe damage to penile tissue.
- Blood vessel damage. With blood being forced into the penis at a high rate, there is the potential for a blood vessel to rupture, which can in turn have an impact on erectile ability.
- Fracture. In rare cases, a penis fracture can result if overinflation of the penis causes tissue to stretch beyond its capability.
To prevent such injuries, it is crucial to follow instructions carefully. Going slow, taking his time and not overdoing things are essential - especially among men who are using the pump for non-medially-prescribed purposes.
Pain and soreness is a relatively minor penis injury that can result from use of a pump, as is superficial damage to penis skin.. Regular use of a top drawer penis health crème(health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) can be of use with these problems. Keeping the penis well moisturized will both help heal the skin and reduce many forms of soreness. Therefore, select a crème that includes both Shea butter (a high-end emollient) and vitamin E (one of nature's best hydrators). For even better results, make sure the crème also includes alpha lipoic acid. This potent antioxidant battles the free radicals that can result in oxidative damage to delicate penis skin.